Monday, April 15, 2013

The Honeymoon Recap Begins!

I'm finally sitting down to recap our honeymoon today!
 
We decided to wait until Monday after the wedding to leave for the honeymoon and that was one of the best decisions we made! Sunday we were lucky enough to have a post-wedding family brunch thrown for us and after that (me still with my wedding up-do), we just lounged on the couch allllllll day stalking FB for pictures and just talking about the wedding. Didn't even start packing for the honeymoon until about 8pm that night and we had to wake up the next morning at 4am. We managed to get it all done and don't even think we forgot anything!
 
So Monday morning rolls around and we leave Charleston around 7:30am to take a quick flight to Charlotte. Once in Charlotte we had about 2 hours to spare so we grabbed a bloody mary and ate a piece of wedding cake that I packed in my bag. :) I wanted to actually enjoy a piece and didn't think it would last until we got back home!
 
While waiting for our flight to Cancun, they came over the speaker and said that they had 2 open seats in first class if anyone wanted to upgrade. Cameron decided that we wanted those seats and boy were they worth the upgrade, especially for a 2.5 hour flight! It was both of our first times flying first class and we took full advantage. Complimentary drinks and seats that layed all the way horizontal? Yes please!
 
We landed at the Cancun airport around 12:30pm their time and were picked up in a Mercedes van by a sweet man whose name I forgot. We were offered cool, scented towels and glasses of champagne. Very nice! The ride to our resort was only about 20 minutes from the airport to our paradise! Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita!
When we arrived we were greeted by a woman named Myra who walked us around the resort showing us where everything was and then lead us to our room. I was happily surprised to see that Cameron upgraded us (again) to a suite with our very own plunge pool!




 
After we glanced around the room we immediately went to grab some lunch because although it was only 1pm there, it was 3pm to our minds and stomachs. We went to Kaax, which is one of the two places that serves lunch. The other place being the poolside grill. Kaax served sandwiches, salads, sushi & ceviche mostly.
After lunch we went to layout by the pool! The spot you could find us during the majority of the honeymoon. We texted our families and told them that there was a webcam on the website. They seemed to have fun finding us on it. :)



 For dinner that night we decided to go to the fancy restaurant called La Canoa. We had the pleasure of meeting Manuel, who quickly became our favorite employee of the trip. La Canoa starts out every meal with an amuse-bouche, followed by some pieces of parmesan cheese that's been aged for 24 months and some olive oil/balsamic vinegar. That night we ordered scallops as an appetizer, and then both ordered a mixed green salad with strawberries, pistachios and balsamic dressing and filet with a crispy Portobello on top. Too full for dessert. This place isn't your average all inclusive resort with mediocre buffet food.



Not Manuel, but he was still nice. :)

 
 
And that's a wrap for day one! I promise the rest of the days won't be as lengthy. :)

 


20 comments :

  1. What a fun trip! Congratulations to you!
    Laurie
    Lulu and Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I am counting down the days until my own honeymoon...we're 19 days from the wedding and 21 days until leaving for Playa del Carmen. We opted for a Monday departure as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That private pool in yalls room looks like the perfect way to wind down after a long day out in the sun. Smart thinking on the Monday departure. I'm keeping that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love these! The hotel is so so pretty!! And packing cake in your bag? That's my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that y'all waited to leave on Monday. Such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. I can tell that I'd be totally in love with this resort. I keep telling Ian that we have GOT to plan a Mexico trip together. I've been several times but he's never been and I just can't wait to introduce him to it. Love that ya'll bumped up to 1st class, so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Gosh your resort and room is gorgeous!! Love Cancun...

    xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I loved this post. I cannot wait to hear more about your honeymoon, but it seems like it was perfect. I'm already trying to drop hints to Joel that first class bumping to Hawaii will be worth every penny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, what a fun honeymoon! That resort seems fabulous!! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! :) Makes me want to honeymoon all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Cameron!! All of those upgrades, make for a good start as your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks gorgeous! Looks like you had a blast! My fiancee and I are still trying to decide on a location for our H.Moon, what resort is this? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks amazing! How exciting to get upgraded to first-class, too, AND the room. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This all sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen this side of Cancun, I might have to check this out.

    I still haven't posted anything about out honeymoon yet, you are making me feel like a terrible procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous start to the honeymoon

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, your suite is fabulous!! That dinner also sounds delish! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my word, that view!!! And the sushi! Absolute paradise! Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea to bring a piece of cake for you two to enjoy on your way to Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am just catching up on your honeymoon posts. I booked Cancun today and I'm so happy to see that you went there too and had a great time! I was a little nervous it was too college-ish, but I am thinking that was just a bad stereotype I had!

    champagneandsuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete