Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Skinnytaste's Creamy Cauliflower Purée.

I'm baaaaaaack. Back from an AMAZING honeymoon with my wonderful husband (still weird). We both took the day off from work yesterday to unpack and unwind, cause y'know, relaxing is exhausting. In the midst of unpacking suitcases and wedding presents, we discovered that my car wouldn't start. Awesome. Turns out it was just the battery and luckily, it was still under warranty.
 
For dinner, we wanted something simple and somewhat healthy to get us back on the right track. I made chicken marsala with a pre-made marsala sauce that I picked up at HT (actually really good and not as fattening as expected), along with this creamy cauliflower purée (aka cauliflower mashed "potatoes") and edamame. The edamame was a weird addition, but I was took lazy to make a salad. Anyway, this was the first time making the cauliflower purée and it was a hit! Even with my super picky sister, who joined us for dinner. I used a Cuisinart stick blender that was given to us as a wedding gift, and that thing worked like a charm!
 
 
Skinnytaste's Creamy Cauliflower Purée
Recipe and photo found here.
 
1 medium head cauliflower, cut up into florets
4 cloves crushed garlic
1/3 cup 1% buttermilk (I used half and half because that's what I had)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp light butter

Steam or boil cauliflower and garlic until soft. Drain, add buttermilk, light butter, salt, pepper and purée with a hand blender. If you don't own a hand blender, you should consider getting one. It is one of my most used gadgets in my kitchen, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. A regular blender would work fine as well.

7 comments :

  1. I've gotten better about being a super picky eater! I even ate some of those mushrooms :) Also, I told Aneeth about the cauliflower. He's not a believer..yet. So yummy! Also, I would like a handheld mixer for my birthday now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!!! Now please start scheduling posts with every little detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is HT? welcome home!! the first few days were strange after the honeymoon like i live with you now, you are my husband what?? enjoy the newness!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect wedding. Perfect bride. Can't wait to hear about the honeymoon! Welcome back to your newlywed life :)

    ReplyDelete