Sunday, April 28, 2013

{Guest Post} DIY Coffee and Vanilla Body Scrub

Treat Yourself this Spring: DIY Coffee and Vanilla Body Scrub

Springtime is finally here, and with it, the promise of shorts and sundresses. Although you may certainly be ready for the warmer weather, you winter skin may not be. This spring, don’t let that winter coat prevent you from thoroughly enjoying the outdoors – take some time to rejuvenate. Don't think you have time? Think again. As women, we need to take time to unwind and pamper ourselves every once in awhile. Your job, your friends and your family deserve the very best you!

Spas, now more than ever, are being utilized as a tool to de-stress. After a long career in the travel industry, I know all too often the tendency to put off beauty treatments and relaxation for vacation days that come only a few times a year. But with our schedules packed and our stress levels high, why do we limit ourselves – and our skin – to nourishment so infrequently? You can start today with a do-it-yourself spa treatment that won’t break the bank!
 
Recently, I returned from a trip to Honolulu with my family. The day before I headed back home, I spent an afternoon at the Moana Lani Spa at the Moani Surfrider Hotel, ranked prominently as one of Honolulu’s top hotels, where attendants pampered my skin with a scrumptious-smelling scrub made from Kona coffee beans and vanilla. As my nose took in the comforting aroma and I felt the massaging hands of the attendants on my aching muscles, all my stress melted away. Using coffee beans as a scrub has been shown to reduce cellulite, something I think we all wouldn’t mind leaving behind.
 
Fortunately, I discovered that I can replicate the same experience at home for less than the price of a bag of coffee.

Coffee and Vanilla Body Scrub

You'll need:

2 tbsp Coffee Beans (Kona coffee is preferable, but any will do)
2 tbsp of Rice
1 Whole Vanilla Bean
Optional: Your favorite body wash OR a mixture of olive oil and honey
 
To make your own coffee-vanilla scrub, head to the grocery store and purchase a small bag of coffee beans. Also, you'll need one whole vanilla bean and some rice. Remember, it's important to use all-natural ingredients. Split the vanilla bean and cut it into small parts. Add two tablespoons each of coffee beans and rice. Grind all of the ingredients in a coffee mill. For a less intense scrub, combine with your favorite body wash or a mixture of honey and olive oil. Then apply to skin, concentrating on rough spots such as elbows and the soles of your feet. Massage lightly and enjoy the invigorating scent this scrub evokes.

There you have it, a spa-inspired treatment you can do at home. I hope you enjoy this little piece of the tropics as you prepare for spring!
 
Bio: Kendra Thornton: Travel advocate, TV spokesperson, PR businesswoman, proud wife and mama of 3. I am a long time travel expert who has been packing my bags and traveling the world since I was 3 months old! I've found my utmost desire in life is right here in my own home. I have mixed my excitement for travel by bringing the taste of authentic cuisine and rejuvenating beauty remedies to my own home with some of my unique recipes and tips. Enjoy!


1 comment :