Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork

I made this last week and it was a big hit! I also posted about it on Facebook and lots of people were requesting the recipe, so here it is!

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork
Recipe and Photo from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients

  • 1 whole Large Onion
  • 1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large dutch oven.

Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.

Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in. 

Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turning roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be absolutely falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, return to the oven for another hour. 

Remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up. 

Serve on warm flour tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you’d like. 

OR
You can do the lazy version, like me, and just throw everything in the crock pot for 8 hours! :)

23 comments :

  1. I love your recipes! I just got the Pioneer Woman cookbook. This looks delish. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I love pork bbq! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! A friend made a very similar recipe, but it didn't have the spicy and she used plain 'ole coca-cola classic. Definitely going to give it a try...and it will be thrown in the crock-pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wasn't this so good!? i love love pioneer woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds amazing! I am going to try it for sure...and use the crock pot too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing this! i saw this recipe on TPW's site and wondered if it was any good! good to know it was!! i'll have to try it!

    also, i wanted to say thank you SO much for hopping over to Make Under My Life and voting for my look! i really appreciate you taking the time to do that! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ummmmm YUMMMMMMM! this looks so so good! must try it! :)

    xo! Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM i LOVE bbq and dp.. sounds like the perfect combo! xoxo jcd :: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i love the pioneer woman's recipes so much. i may have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't know if it's just my server, but your background is not working :s

    anyays, i am def going to try your recipe!! :)joh, also I ust wanted to let you know, that I have a great giveaway on my blog! A Bikini by a young female designer! Check out, you'll love it! i PROMISE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your recipes! you inspire me to get in the kitchen....where i realize i have zero ingredients and settle for the tv dinner version of whatever you're cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my dad made ribs with dr. pepper last year for the superbowl and they were a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sounds so good and perfect for sandwiches and just all the above! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds so good, and to make sandwichs from it yum! I am your newest follower!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So Yummy! Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey megan! I have a great giveaway that I know you would love- come check it out if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love dr pepper and I love spicy, I know I will love this pork!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this looks delicious and super easy! New follower coming your way :)

    www.missstilley.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yea you did!! Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds so good. We love pulled pork at our house.

    P.S. I just found your blog through LDL. I'm in Charleston as well, and love finding other local bloggers. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good! I am making it tomorrow- I will let you know how it turns out! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete