Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Greek Lemon Chicken Soup & Chopped Greek Salad

I could eat both of these every day for the rest of my life and be happy. I know Natalie is going to be a big fan of this post, too. :)

Both recipes and pictures are from Real Simple.


Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m | Total Time: 30m

Ingredients

6 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup orzo
6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
black pepper

Directions

In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the orzo and boil until tender, 8 to 9 minutes. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the hot broth.

Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken and lemon juice; season with ¼ teaspoon pepper.

Chopped Greek Salad with Pita Chips
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m | Total Time: 15m

Ingredients

2 pitas, split horizontally
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
kosher salt and black pepper
1 small head iceberg lettuce, chopped (about 8 cups)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 green bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 English cucumber, sliced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and coarsely chopped
4 ounces Feta, crumbled (1 cup)
8 pepperoncini (optional)
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (optional)

Directions

Heat oven to 350° F. Place the pita halves cut-side up on a baking sheet, brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and bake until golden and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool, then break into pieces.

In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oregano, the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, chickpeas, Feta, pita chips, and pepperoncini and olives, if using, and toss to combine.

15 comments :

  1. Oh yum! My husband would love both of these...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum- never heard of that soup before, but it sounds tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg..love these both! yumyumyum. Are you on twitter? Find me if so!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chopped Greek salad looks SOOOO yummy! Must try this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These both look so good. I'm putting this soup on my must try list. I'm always looks for new soup recipes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Blog! Yummy! I'm following! I live in Charleston too! I love this place! I hope your visit! Have a wonderful Day!

    Namaste!
    http://mamiholisticaygenial.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of these recipes! I have thawed some chicken breasts and I was just wondering what to do with them. I think I have my answer with a cool front moving in tonight my guys will love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i legit cooked for the first time in my life the other night and thought of you...i made a zuchini bake & i took a pic which i will have to send you as proof....these look amazeballs...duh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love greek salad! Gotta try that recipe.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, hello, totally making both of these this weekend. lol. they look SOOO good. I always get the best ideas from your blog, I seriously can't get enough. Greek salad really should be consumed daily. lol. if you get a second i'd love if you stopped by and maybe decided to follow back. xoxo.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Lemon Chicken soup sounds delicious and would be perfect for cool fall days!

    ReplyDelete