Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Da fair.

As our weekly date, Cameron and I decided to go to the Coastal Carolina Fair last night. Mainly we went because Corey Smith was playing. Cameron's parents volunteer at the fair so they hooked us up with free tickets, hand stamps for unlimited rides and a VIP parking spot. Nice!
After sitting in awful 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate, we finally arrived around 6:30pm. Corey Smith wasn't set to start playing until 7:30pm so we decided to grab our first meal of the night (corndogs) and ride some rides. Now, I've never had a problem riding the big roller coasters that flip you every which way at amusement parks like Carowinds, but flippy fair rides that can go up and be torn down in less than a day? No thanks.

And then this happened..
No "working our way up" from the small rides to the big scary ones. Cameron just walked up to this one and got in line. It all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to argue/pout/cry. This ride brings you all the way to the top (no idea how high and I don't care to know either) and then drops you, letting gravity take its toll. You can't scream because your stomach is basically in your throat. Other than thinking about how awesome my life has been and telling Cameron I love him before I was about to die, I couldn't stop thinking about my Reva's that I was wearing and how paranoid I was that they were going to fly off my feet at any second!! Great way to start the evening.
 
Now, you may think that after such a scary ride, we'd tone it down a notch, right? I thought we would, too. But you and I would both be wrong. My new rule was as long as it doesn't flip me upside down, I'd consider riding it.
 
And then this happened..
 
Ugh, why did I put myself through this? This one was scarier to me than the first one! This one slung you back and forth, this way, that way, every which way. Cameron was laughing at me the whole time. I was really convinced that the next time they flung us to the other side, we were just going to go sailing over the entire fair and crash and burn into one of the funnel cake stands. No more, I said.
 
And then this happened..
 
Some relaxing swings, right? No! Y'all, this even scared me once I got on it! I am becoming such a baby in my old age! I don't know if it's the heights or the fact that I'm not sure how safe these rides are, but never again will I be riding on anything other than the ferris wheel at the fair. But then again, I was paranoid last year on the ferris wheel that my hair was going to get stuck and my scalp would be ripped off. Sorry for the gross visual.
 
So I said, for reals, I'm done with the rides. Let's get our second meal and go grab a seat in front of the stage. And that's what we did. I got some fried pickles (duh) and he got some chicken tenders and fries. FYI - the fried pickles weren't that good. Sorry, no pics.
 
The only pic of the night is of the concert. I only knew a handful of Corey Smith songs so I couldn't sing along that much. He was entertaining though!
 
Fun night, all in all, with lots of laughs.
 
Have you been / are you going to the fair this year?
Are you a scaredy cat like me?

10 comments :

  1. i'm with you- the rides FREAK me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a total wimp. I hate rides. But corndogs are another thing entirely... Glad you guys had fun even if it was scary fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about amusement parks - but carnival rides freak me out! Ha, I don't know how I used to ride them when I was little. Now I just think about how often they build them up and break them down - scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't make it to the fair but wish I could have gone to see Corey Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going on Saturday. I also have free tickets, but sadly no VIP passes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I am so proud of you for doing those scary rides!! I hate those things... I love the fair and funnel cakes though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely is one of those things that changes when you get older..I used to love the fair rides, but now I hate them. The kid rides even get me a little scared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha lady. i do.not.do.rides. i am the biggest scaredy cat you have evah met. i once got sick on a merri-go-round when i was little. ha.

    so jealous though, i really wanted to go to the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am terrified of heights! Last summer J and I went to Cedar Point and I rode every roller coaster, until it came time for the Top Thrill Dragster... no way, not happening. We were in line for about 45min, I started bawling. there was no way I could suck it up either... and I hear the ones I rode before that were even scarier... didn't matter!
    Hope you managed to have a good time, and it made for a great post :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehehe, I LOVE roller coasters, but I agree, the ones at fairs scare me to death!!

    ReplyDelete