Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Tomato-Basil & Spinach Risotto.

Tonight I'm attempting to make risotto for the first time. Kind of nervous! Seems to be a labor intensive recipe, but I am ready for the challenge! 
Have you ever made risotto before? Any tips?

Tomato-Basil & Spinach Risotto
Photo and recipe from Iowa Girl Eats
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tablespoon butter
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
salt & pepper
3/4 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded & chopped (or equivalent amount of Roma or Compari tomatoes)
2 cups baby spinach
handful torn basil
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese


 Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low and keep hot. 

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat then add shallot, season with salt & pepper, and then saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds.

Add rice then stir to coat in butter. Add wine then stir until nearly absorbed by rice. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth then stir continuously until broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until nearly absorbed before adding more.

When there’s 1/4 of the broth remaining, add tomatoes then continue stirring. Add baby spinach and basil with the last broth addition then continue stirring. Stir in parmesan cheese then add more salt & pepper to taste.

post signature

17 comments :

  1. I clicked over hoping you could give me risotto tips. I have never made it either want to! Report back and that recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made t before but have always wanted to. Definitely let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making risotto and this one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks SO good. How did it go? Never made it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE risotto but i have never made it before, good luck! i hope it turns out! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE risotto but i have never made it before, good luck! i hope it turns out! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will be surprised how easy it is. Just pour some wine, relax, and stir away :)

    Here's my go to - saute shallot/ onion in garlic and evoo, add risotto in and saute for a few minutes, deglaze with white wine, and then start adding your broth until its almost completely absorbed. If you have a parmesan rind, throw one in - it makes it so rich and creamy. Finish with add'l parm, lemon zest, herbs. We love it with roasted shrimp and asparagus. Perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you'll report back to us on how it went and your steps! I, too, would like to make risotto but am kind of scared of it! This recipe sounds delicious, I find you can never go wrong with Iowa Girl Eats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made it a handful of times and as long as you keep the heat low and stir it slow (over and over and over again), I really don't think you can screw it up! And yes, you really will use most of that broth-- just keep adding and stirring! It is honestly one of my favorite things to make-- I turn on my cooking music, pour a glass of wine (and repeat), and just de-stress after a long day! You'll have to share how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Curious how it turns out - I've never made it either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing!! Now I'm hungry too :)

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely not as hard as it sounds - just very time consuming! You can do it!

    Paige
    tomatoesforcucumbers.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never made risotto but this recipe looks delish!! Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope never made but always wanted to!! Let us know how it turns out. It looks delish!
    Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Lordy. This looks amazing! How did yours turn out?

    ReplyDelete