Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Caroline's 30th + Black Bean Hummus Recipe.

Saturday night we celebrated Caroline's 30th birthday at her house. We've known each other since we were little little, so it was really fun to hang out with her family again, since I usually only see them during football season. There was homemade barbeque, mac and cheese, coleslaw, panzanella salad (my fave!), and Caroline's famous cucumber vodka lemonade (addicting). I made and brought the black bean hummus you will see below, it was a hit! A good time was had by all. Next up, Jen's (far right) 30th birthday this weekend!
Wearing my new dress from Nordstrom
 True life: My hair was curled before I left the house. :(



Had to share this (borrowed from Kathryn) super sweet picture of all of the "big kids" huddled around Lane. They were all enamored with him and all took turns rocking him.
Now on to the recipe...
Black beans are not usually my favorite thing. I will eat them, but I don't crave them like my friend, Katie. The first time my mom made a black bean hummus, I was extremely hesitant to try it out, but once I did, there was no going back. This will probably become a staple in our house from now on. 
 

 Black Bean Hummus 
Recipe and photo from Our Best Bites 


1 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

 optional but recommended: zest from 1 lime
juice from 1 lime (at least 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (jarred is fine)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1-2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
additional olive oil (about 1 teaspoon)


Place black beans, tahini, 1 tablespoon chili oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and kosher salt in a food processor.  Pulse until relatively smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons water until desired consistency is reached.  Can be eaten immediately, but for best results, place in fridge to chill for at least an hour. 

Makes about 1 1/2 cups hummus.
 

post signature

11 comments :

  1. I've got to try this. I'm a bean feign! Fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious friends! I love the big kids shot!! I will be adding this to my to try recipe. I always need a new party appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress looks great on you! Right now it's on a major sale--cool! Thanks for the recipe, I'm definitely going to make that soon. Happy birthday to Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun party with friends and babies!! Love it and can't wait to try the BB Hummus!! And I am loving the tomtits lime chips lately so I'm sure I would love these chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black beans and hummus so I must try this recipe stat!!!! What a fun night! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've made a very similar dip. i love black beans! good fiber. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black beans are so good so many different ways. Love the hummus idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy!! Eating hummus as we speak!

    Paige
    tomatoesforcucumbers.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm that dip looks SO good! love your dress too :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks delicious! Definitely trying it out! Thanks Lucy x

    ReplyDelete