Monday, January 20, 2014

That Time We Went Camping...



Good Monday morning! I am seriously dragging this morning and the coffee is not helping. Last Friday, I left off by saying that we had noooo plans for the weekend. Well, somehow we got convinced to go camping on a beach in 30 degree weather. Now, that might sound miserable to you, because it surely did to me, but it was actually fun and we weren't even that cold! 

We left Saturday around 2pm so that we could have enough time to get set up before the sun went down. It was just a quick 10 minute trip from Folly Beach to the backside of Kiawah, by boat. Three couples and two dogs in tow. It was Cameron and my first time camping together and I can successfully say that we put up our tent without wanting to kill each other!


The wood that we hauled over to keep us warm. We still went on hunts for more wood throughout the day and evening.

This guy was in Heaven.




Cameron looks like it's just another day in Charleston and I look like I should be in Antarctica. Don't care though, I was WARM.

 

 The sunset was gorgeous, as usual.


That night, we grilled some hot dogs and brats on a portable grill that Andy brought, and later roasted marhmallows over the fire and made s'mores.



When the moon was first coming up over the water, it was SO huge and orange, we literally did not know what it was at first. (Could have had something to do with the adult  beverages.) I couldn't really get a good picture of it, so this one will have to do.

We went to bed around 1am when the firewood supply started to dwindle and I can honestly say that I was not cold at all. Waking up in the morning to the sound of crashing waves was so peaceful, too. When we got home around 11am, we got out of our stinky campfire smelling clothes, took nice hot showers, and laid on the couch alllll day.

I'm so glad we went and will not be as nervous next time someone asks us to go camping!

post signature

23 comments :

  1. I totally thought about you Saturday night and wondered how you were surviving!!! Glad to see you did well! I would be miserable. But since it was just one night I think I'd manage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like y'all had fun! In the 5+ years that I've been with O, we've never gone camping. This gives me hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! Y'all are brave! Camping and sleeping in a tent in the cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like so much fun! I'd be bundled up in lots of layers too. I hate being cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! Such a beautiful sunset! I'm totally not a camper and would have been bundled up like you were.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun is that! But, you're braver than I- I don't camp unless it's about 20 degrees warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so much braver than I am. But it looks like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so fun! Brady looked like he was in Heaven! I would love to camp on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fun, but it was so cold that night. You guys are tough! That is where we take SS to play in the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I want to go camping! Looks cold, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG that looks like SUCH a blast! What a perfect night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you girl, not a camper but waking up to the sounds of waves crashing...I could get used to that. Love that you all traveled by boat to get there! The best way to get around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! So jealous! Camping on the beach is on our to do list for 2014! Love it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like so much fun! My parents were married on Folly Beach - it's so beautiful down there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like fun! My family had a beach house at Kiawah...I spent every summer there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful pictures! Looks like you a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Camping on the beach?! That sounds amazing and looks like it was a great time! Hope you have a great week love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are much braver that I! No way that I would go camping in the cold (I'm not even a big fan when it's warm!) but it does look like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really hate camping, but I actually did love camping at Shackleford Banks in NC. This reminds me of my camping trip and I really would do that again if I was ever asked! Definitely looks like y'all had a great time!

    champagneandsuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think I could brave the cold to camp, but it looks like you and the doggies had lots of fun!!
    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  21. we will have to try that with 3 girls in tow!! looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete