Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How To Throw An Oyster Roast!

A few weeks ago, after I posted about a small oyster roast we threw at our house, I received a few questions regarding how to cook oysters and what all was needed for an oyster roast. Then, Mariel suggested that I post a How-To so here it is!

What you'll need...
-Saltine crackers
-Lemon wedges
-Cocktail sauce
-Tabasco or any other hot sauce
-Oyster knives {can be found at your local hardware store, tackle shop, or Wal-Mart}
-Gloves / towels / paper towels
-Trash cans specifically for discarded oyster shells {Contact your local DNR to see where your closest oyster shell recycling station is. They place the shells back into the water to promote new oyster growth.}
-Table that can get dirty or a piece of plywood resting on sawhorses
-Cooker with propane {We use something similar to a turkey fryer}
-Oysters {one bushel per 5-10 people, depending on the level of oyster eaters}
-Another dish such as chili or chicken bog for the non-oyster eaters

How to prepare...
-Purchase bushels of oysters as close to your oyster roast as possible. Keep them in a cool, dry place until ready to cook.
-Before cooking, rinse oysters off well with a hose to remove any excess mud / dirt.
-Put about 2 inches of water in bottom of pot. Light the burner and place oysters inside basket once water has started to boil / steam. Cover with lid.
-Cook for approximately 5-10 minutes. Less time for more runny oysters, more time for more chewy ones. The more you cook, the easier the shells will be to open.
-Eat with whatever condiment you prefer and enjoy!


That's how we do it around here! There are other ways to cook oysters, but this is the way that works best for us. Let me know if you have any questions {and I'll be sure to ask Cameron!}.
 

post signature

12 comments :

  1. That's how we do it too! I love some oysters and can't wait for our first oyster roast of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Thank you! We wanted to host an oyster roast engagement party in the new year, and this will majorly help! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering now. Nothing beats an oyster topped with cocktail sauce and lemon juice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to do an oyster roast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the Uk we serve oysters with shallots finely chopped and red wine vinegar - its lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! We LOVE oysters! We like them raw, but when we buy them to eat at home my husband throws them on the grill for a few minutes, maybe 5, just to get them to pop open a bit so they're not impossible to get into. Throw on some lemon and horseradish and eat 'em up! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good oyster roast! I think an oyster table is a must and a great gift idea:) http://highcottonstyle.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-south-carolina-joggling-board.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love oyster roasts but have yet to throw one. These tips are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just invited myself to your next one. ha ha ha. promise not to wear the uggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandparents live outside of Wilmington, we had huge oyster roasts in his workshop on plywood tables covered in newspaper. Lore has it that I was taught by age 3 how to open my own oysters because I was eating them so fast. Legend also has it, I could eat half a bushel by myself. My grandma made a garlic butter dippin' sauce...it was heavenly! Since I live in CO now...I eat them raw at our local oyster bar, still yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post!! We have been to quite a few oyster events this fall!

    ReplyDelete