Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken N Dumplins!

Today's recipe is perfect for a cold, rainy day. And next Winter, it will be on my weekly meal rotation. I have always been a huge fan of chicken n dumplins and I L.O.V.E.D. this recipe! Reminded me of the good ol' Cracker Barrel. 
Recipe and picture is from Kristan at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen!




INGREDIENTS:


4 chicken breasts
(I only used 2)
2 cans cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 onion, chopped

salt and pepper to taste
Optional: chopped up carrots and celery


Add chicken, soup, broth, and onion to a crock pot and cook on low for at least 6 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks (chicken will be very tender and pull apart easily) and leave on warm.



Dumplings: (adapted from allrecipes.com)



2 cups flour

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup chicken broth

2 chicken bouillon cubes 


Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add bouillon cubes.


In a medium bowl, combine flour, egg, sour cream, and chicken broth. Once combined, turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter, and cut again to make rectangles about an inch or so (doesn't really matter, I swear) long.
(I tried to do this and it got wayyyy too messy / sticky on my counter so I just pinched off pieces of dough and dropped them into the water. I don't really think it makes a difference either way.)


Drop 5 or 6 at a time into the boiling water. Once they float to the top, leave them for 30 seconds or so and take them out with a strainer. Mix cooked dumplings with the chicken mixture in the crockpot. Salt and pepper to taste.

 Enjoy!

6 comments :

  1. Mmmmm I wish I had some of that to eat for lunch today!! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, and I've been wanting to make chicken and dumplings for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am literally salivating right now. I will definitely be trying this recipe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband would LOVE this...and I definitely would too :) thanks for sharing! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete