Thursday, February 17, 2011

Craigslist Find! (Now What??)

A few weeks ago while I was bored at work (surprise, surprise), I was looking around on Craigslist for some cheap furniture that was just begging for some fresh paint. I stumbled across an awesome set of matching nightstands and a matching dresser for just $40! I contacted the seller immediately and picked them up 2 days later.

Here they are:
Love the detail on the top drawers.


Please excuse my messy garage and crappy photog skills.
Now, for my question: The tops of the night stands & dresser are laminate. Sanding won't help. What am I supposed to do to make sure the paint sticks and doesn't look horrendous?? Help please! I found this article and am hoping it's for real. But I still welcome any other suggestions!

I plan on painting the dresser a mustard-y yellow and the night stands white. Or vice versa. I know I want yellow and white because I think it will look great with the grey wall color.

This is the picture that pretty much came my inspiration for this particular project and guest room. I'm so sorry I cannot remember which blog I found it on though! If it's yours please let me know so I can give you credit!

Thanks y'all! :)

11 comments :

  1. Craigslist is dangerous - I find so much stuff on there that I want to buy! Such a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gray + white + yellow is one of my favorite combos. good luck with the project. i'm afraid i'm not very crafty at all, but i bet it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total Score!! I like your inspiration! That is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! :) The details are perfect! This almost looks like my inspiration picture that I'm using for my house right now! Those three colors rock my world. AND even more WEIRD, I posted today about a "find" too! I am not sure about the laminate, but you could always buy a decorative laminate...or put material down and put glass over it? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I can never find cute stuff like this! I think people like you snatch it up before I can find it :) Those colors sound great, I am definitely trying to work more mustard & grey into our decor.

    Wish I could be more help with th laminate issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously love those finds. The detail is great. I think you should paint the dresser the mustard color and the nightstand white :) You MAY have inspired me to try and do this with our old furniture in our guest room...the tops are also laminate so when you do figure it out, if you would be so kind to pass it along hehe thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOA that is awesome! and not blog-exaggerating. that looks excellent - like something out of pottery barn! i'm impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about how to paint over the laminate, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your amazing find and tell you that I love the idea of white and mustard yellow!

    Can't wait to see how the final product turns out!

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great score! I have no idea how to paint over laminate but I am sure you will have some great answers here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning from Tokyo!

    The credit for the picture should go to fab Mom and blogger Michelle of "Three Men and a Lady". I've been a follower for ages and she really is brilliant. Check out her stripped entry hallway and be prepared to drool!


    Wonderful inspiration! To paint over laminate it's going to take a little work. You'll have to carefully sand it down until you the sheen of the laminate is gone. Then prime and paint! Here's a great tutorial...http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/05/how-to-paint-laminate-furniture.html

    So glad I found your blog! It will be fabulous to see how thigns turn out.

    My best to you and yours...

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I didn't realize you'd linked to the same article above! That was silly of me. If sanding isn't an option try priming and painting a small spot. If you don't want to take chances, though, you can always go ask someone at Lowe's or Home Depot. They may be able to help out!

    Best wishes on your upcycling!

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete