Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Five {What I've Been Up To}.





{one}
Two weekends ago my Grandma Anna turned the ripe young age of 80! Not trying to brag, but I seriously have some good genes on both sides of my family. We celebrated at my Aunt & Uncle's house in Summerville. We had an awesome dinner prepared a little bit by everyone and afterwards, we sat around the table while Grandma Anna opened up her gifts and cards.  The best gift was from my mom, uncle, and aunt. They snuck into my grandma's old photos without her knowing and put together a photo book of memories. It was so neat to listen to a story about each picture.

Grandma with her granddaughters

Picture from the photo book - Grandma Anna was and still is a looker

Uncle Jerry & Aunt Debbie who drove from Iowa!


{two}
I posted a few weeks ago my weekly meal plan based around Skinnytaste cookbook recipes. I'm happy to say that none of the recipes disappointed and I would definitely make them all again!
Here are a few photos that I took, which look nothing like the cookbook's. ;)

Skillet Lemon Sole with Tomatoes and Capers
(I made with tilapia because that's what I had)

Chicken Pasta Caprese


{three}
Last weekend we celebrated our 2 year anniversary with dinner at Cypress, followed by coffee with Bailey's at a local coffee/dessert shop in Avondale, and ended with some nightcaps at The Roost with friends. 

I hadn't been to Cypress since prom my senior year of high school. It was amazing then and now, including the service! They started us off with two glasses of champagne and we ordered the cucumber tuna rolls to go along with it. I ordered the butter lettuce salad and Cameron ordered the Ceasar salad. He definitely had food envy after having a bite of my salad! For our entrees I ordered the filet topped with Boursin cheese and Cameron ordered one of their specials - veal with a soft shelled crab. We decided to forego dessert because they did not have bread pudding and well, we were stuffed! If you ever go to Cypress, even for their bar upstairs, you must order the lavender martini! So refreshing and delicious. Even Cameron liked it! 


I'm hoping my hair doesn't look this red in person. Someone please tell me if it does!

My yummy butter lettuce salad with bacon jam, buttermilk blue cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, and chives. SO GOOD.

Filet topped with Boursin cheese accompanied by asparagus, leeks, roasted garlic, crispy potatoes, and Madeira sauce.


{four}
Last weekend we also spent a lot of time in the yard getting it ready for Spring. I focused on my garden area, but did not plant anything due to the cold snap we had. Maybe I can plant my herbs and veggies today since I have the day off! I also picked up some peony bulbs at Costco last weekend. Who know's if they'll grow here in the scorching hot summer. Here's a good old fashioned before and after photo. Don't mind the pink ribbon - we're getting quotes to take down a few trees in the yard. 



{five}
I paid my car off this week!!  





post signature

15 comments :

  1. I love that quote at the beginning of your post, lady! So true! Today is a dark Friday, but the brightness of Sunday is just so close. AMEN!

    Glad you had a great 2 year celebration, so wonderful! And CONGRATS on paying off your car! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Cypress meal sounds awesome. I'm so happy it's soft shelled crab season again! I need that Skinnytaste cookbook. Congrats on paying off your car - that's awesome! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your grandmother doesn't look a day over 29. you DEF have some good genes! and cypress is YUM! we went there for my 30th birthday and I loved it. such a cool spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo for paying off your car. That's the best feeling! Keep us up to date on your garden. You have inspired me to go get some herbs this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on paying off your car!! Such a great accomplishment! And your anniversary dinner looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on paying off your car, that must feel so good! Definitely adding Cypress to my restaurant list.. which just keeps growing. It looks delish! Have a great weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for paying your car off.. I bet that feels so good ! Your garden is looking good. I hope everything grows that you plant, I always wanted a garden but I think I have a brown thumb… Happy Friday
    Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! Your Cypress date looks amazing -- I'm dying to go there! Can't wait to see what you grow in your garden! I'm so excited to get a little veggie garden going when we move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on one less bill! Such a great feeling! And your garden area is just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww that's such a sweet idea they had for your grandma's birthday! Happy anniversary by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your meals look delicious! I love your little garden area; happy planting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many good things and celebrations happening around you! Another congrats on the two years (the picture is so cute!) and more congrats on paying off the car!! Woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one happy post! Congrats to your sweet grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only been to Cypress once and it was so good. Love the garden, can't wait to hear how it goes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary!! The Caprese Pasta looks delicious, isn't Skinnytaste amazing?! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete